Sunday, May 16, 2010

Climbing wall


After anxiety about the upcoming three L O N G months that the children will be out of school (ok, with the exception of summer school), my husband FINALLY built them a climbing wall!!
(Don't look at the weeds... I know I need to spray, just putting it off!)

Super easy. Just used what lumber we had on hand. Went to Lowe's and priced the climbing "rocks" or "handles." HOLY COW!! $25 for four of them! But John found some redwood railing, pre-routered and said it would work. I was skeptical. $11 for 10 feet of the railing. Cut it into 5" pieces. Lightly sanded. Wow.





As you can see... totally works. I just put the final coat of stain & polyurethane on it today. Used what we had in our stash. Mixed 30% stain to 70% polyurethane in a pint jar.

Now the decision is: do we make another one and put them on the swing set? Or shall we attach it to the playhouse so Kentston can climb on the roof in a much safer way? I'm voting for playhouse. More to follow!!

2 comments:

Hayley said...

How awesome! I love that idea! Mike is going to build a fun big playhouse/swingset this summer and I will show him this to add to it! Very creative! How are you guys doing???

Kristine Robinson said...

Super awesome - can I order one? My kids are actually in year-round school, but that is changing. This is our last year. Way happy to have them off all summer, way not happy to have to entertain them for that long!!